Individuality is a being defined as a specific quality and uniqueness that distinguishes a person from another individual. Every person should always possess this one in order to be recognized as who they are.
A person is responsible for his or her own identity and specifically has the rights to do what they want and to act what they wish they are to be.
However, in today’s world where there are a lot of things getting trendy, some individuals may lose their unique identity and imitate those so-called trends in order to be fitted in the society. There are even sometimes a person who is questioning his or her worth and tends to compare his life to someone’s life.
Although it’s given that each person is created to be unique, has the right to set her own goals, follow his personal beliefs, preferences and desires, but because of how society views and judges certain things, it also greatly affects how an individual perceives his identity and his entire perspective.
This is why it is truly important to always value your existence and always remind yourself that there is no need for you to change just to be accepted by society. You’re truly unique as you are. Society may have different points of views but what matters most is how you have seen, accept and love yourself as who you are.
To add some motivation for you to be who you are, here is the list of fifty quotes that tackles individuality.
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” – Bernard M. Baruch
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).” – Mark Twain
- “When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.” – Jess C. Scott, The Intern
- “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” – Coco Chanel
- “I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” – Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing
- “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” – Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
- “I think… if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts.” – Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
- “The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.” – Jim MORRISON
- “You are so busy being YOU that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.” – John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
- “I, myself, am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.” – Augusten Burroughs
- “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.” – Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
- “The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “It’s probably not just by chance that I’m alone. It would be very hard for a man to live with me, unless he’s terribly strong. And if he’s stronger than I, I’m the one who can’t live with him. … I’m neither smart nor stupid, but I don’t think I’m a run-of-the-mill person. I’ve been in business without being a businesswoman, I’ve loved without being a woman made only for love. The two men I’ve loved, I think, will remember me, on earth or in heaven, because men always remember a woman who caused them concern and uneasiness. I’ve done my best, in regard to people and to life, without precepts, but with a taste for justice.” – Coco Chanel
- “Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.” -John Jakes
- “A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” -Oscar Wilde
- “We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.” -Ethel Barrett (1934-1989)
- “If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn’t follow. I’d be at the bottom to catch them when they fall.”- Unknown
- “Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream.” -Malcolm Muggeridge
- “The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.” – Mark Caine
- “Let every man judge according to his own standards, by what he has himself read, not by what others tell him.” -Albert Einstein
- “Individuality is only possible if it unfolds from wholeness.” -David Bohm
- “Everything without tells the individual that he is nothing; everything within persuades him that he is everything.” -X. Doudan
- “Individuality is founded in feeling; and the recesses of feeling, the darker, blinder strata of character, are the only places in the world in which we catch real fact in the making.” – William James
- “All greatness of character is dependent on individuality. The man who has no other existence than that which he partakes in common with all around him, will never have any other than an existence of mediocrity.” – James F. Cooper
- “The best things and best people rise out of their separateness; I’m against a homogenized society because I want the cream to rise.” -Robert Frost (1875-1963)
- “I know now that most people are so closely concerned with themselves that they are not aware of their own individuality. I can see myself, and it has helped me to say what I want to say in paint.” -Georgia O’Keeffe
- “If a man is not faithful to his own individuality, he cannot be loyal to anything.” -Claude McKay
- “No one should part with their individuality and become that of another.” -William Ellery Channing
- “In matter of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current.” -Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
- “The balance of private good and general welfare is at the bottom of civilized morals; but the morals of the Heroic Age are founded on individuality, and on nothing else.” -Lascelles Abercrombie
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind. ” —Dr. Seuss
- “Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.” -Christopher Morley (1890-1957)
- “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Why are trying so hard to fit in, when you’re born to stand out.” —Oliver James
- “My mother said to me, “If you become a soldier, you’ll be a general; if you become a monk you’ll end up as the pope.” Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.” -Pablo Picasso
- “Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else. ” —Judy Garland
- “About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won’t like you at all.” —Rita Mae Brown
- ” The nail that sticks up will be hammered down.” -Japanese Proverb
- “If you are different from the rest of the flock, they bite you.” —Vincent O’Sullivan
- “May you recognize in your life the presence, power, and light of your soul. May you realize that you are never alone, that your soul in its brightness and belonging connects you intimately with the rhythm of the universe. May you have respect for your own individuality and difference. ”- John O’Donohue, Anam Cara
- “Seagulls, as you know, never falter, never stall. To stall in the air is for them disgrace and it is dishonor. But Jonathan Livingston Seagull, unashamed, stretching his wings again in that trembling hard curve–slowing, slowing, and stalling once more–was no ordinary bird.” – Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull
- “But once the realization is accepted that even between the closest people infinite distances exist, a marvelous living side-by-side can grow up for them, if they succeed in loving the expanse between them, which gives them the possibility of always seeing each other as a whole and before an immense sky.” – Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young
- “So, #GIRLBOSS, if you suck at school, don’t let it kill your spirit. It does not mean that you are stupid or worthless, or that you are never going to succeed at anything. It just means that your talents lie elsewhere, so take the opportunity to seek out what you are good at, and find a place where you can flourish. Once you do, you’re going to kill it.”- Sophia Amoruso, Girlboss
- “The trick was to know that his true nature lived, as perfect as an unwritten number, everywhere at once across space and time.” – Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull
- “I have always been ridiculous, and I have known it, perhaps, from the hour I was born.”- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Dream of a Ridiculous Man
- “A bud is a flower-to-be. A flower-in-waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It’s a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that’s you.”- Christopher Paul Curtis, Bud, Not Buddy
- “‘He’s a gentleman.’ There aren’t many people who would say this about me, but the great thing about this life of ours is that you can be someone different to everybody.” – Jennifer Niven, All the Bright Places
- You your best thing, Sethe. You are.”- Toni Morrison, Beloved
Whenever a person loses her or his sense of value, she or he tends to experience having such low self-esteem, at some point there’s no driven force to achieve his or her potential and sometimes the ending point might be losing his or her passion with the things he or she loves to do.
This is how big an influence society has always brought to the life of a simple individual. People are getting more anxious everyday on how they should fully live their lives. Sometimes, most of them are also questioning why society is getting involved with their individuality as a person.
But one thing a person must always inject inside his or her mind that every individual has his own strengths and weakness, has his own qualities and uniqueness why he is different from others and God has created human beings the way as it is.
Moreover, it’s always a matter of personal perspectives as well. If you let people overpower you with the judgment they have, if you let them decide what’s best for you and if you continue comparing yourself to them, remember that at the end of the day if it’s just a game you’re always the loser. Don’t let their opinions hinder you for being who you are. Your identity as a person is already extraordinary and special.
Perhaps, try to read the quotes listed above to help you clear up your mind if you’re already in the midst of continuously questioning your individuality.