Life isn’t always fair, as some of our superheroes would say. But being a superhero doesn’t necessarily mean that you are born with powers, sometimes, you can choose to be one.
Matt Murdock, the lead role in “Daredevil”, faced a tragic event as a child when he lost his sense of sight. Being unable to see the world the way you see it before was hard, especially for a young man. But that doesn’t stop him from becoming who he is right now. Maybe fate saw favor in his life that he was blessed with superhuman powers after being involved in an accident. Some would say that maybe he’s a magnet to bad luck as he once lost control of his eyes and now he’s been in an accident, but little do they know that he was bound to do something great in the future.
Having gained superpowers, any man can either choose to use it for evil or for good. Thankfully, Matt made great use of it. He continued to move forward in his life and decided to study law as he knew how it would help him gain a little justice for the people around him. He later on succeeded with his career as he became a lawyer and a keen-eyed Daredevil.
You may not have superpowers like Matt did, but there are things which you can relate with him as he still struggled to keep up with this world. Here are some of the iconic lines that you may find in different seasons of “Daredevil”.
- “I’m not trying to be a hero. I’m just a guy that got fed up with men like you and I decided to do something about it.” – Matt Murdock
- “There are no heroes, no villains. Just people with different agendas.” – Ben Uric
- “The only thing I know without a doubt is you don’t get to be the man at the top without making enemies looking to tear you down to the ground.” – Ben Urich
- “There’s one thing in this world that makes me feel more alive. And that’s you.” – Matt Murdock
- “I want to look into the eyes of my father’s killer as he dies!” – Elektra
- “There is goodness in people, even in you.”— Matt Murdock
- “You don’t get what you want by day. You take it by force at night. This is who you are, Matthew. And don’t fool yourself into thinking it’s anything else.” — Elektra Natchios
- “I play the long game. When I’m finally let out of this cage, it won’t be to wage war. It will be to win one.” — Wilson Fisk
- “This may come as a surprise to you, but I’ve actually moved on in the ten years since you left. I’m seeing someone now, which is only part of the reason why I have zero interest in ever starting anything up with you ever again.” — Matt Murdock
- “Time and distance, they afford a certain clarity.” – Wilson Fisk
- “That place is gonna be crawling with people, rich people, people who pay their legal fees with money, not with fish, or with-with-with wheels of cheese, or with sports supplies! I’m gonna fill you in on a little secret, Matt. This doesn’t look like a law office, okay? It looks like the set of goddamn “Sanford and Son”. Every time I walk in, I’m waiting for Lamont to come down the stairs!” – Franklin ‘Foggy’ Nelson
- “The law couldn’t do anything to help that little girl. But I could.” – Matt Murdock
- “I play the long game. When I’m finally let out of this cage, it won’t be to wage war. It will be to win one.” – Wilson Fisk
- “I waited outside the Olympic for my father. In some ways, I’m still waiting. Nobody cared much about the death of a washed-up prizefighter… nobody but me.” – Daredevil
- “Growing to love something is really simply forgetting slowly what you dislike about it.” – James Wesley
- “How do you know the angel and the devil inside me aren’t the same thing?” – Matt Murdock
- “I’m not seeking penance for what I’ve done, I’m asking forgiveness…for what I’m about to do.” – Matt Murdock
- “I fear that the path you’ve chosen isn’t going to be an easy one.” – Madame Gao
- “It’s painful, raising children. We spend our lives teaching them to be strong, to be independent. Not realizing that once we have achieved that they are no longer in our control.” – Nobu Yoshioka
- “Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer that would explain why you keep getting your asses handed to you.” – James Wesley
- “I realized that this city was a part of me, that it was in my blood. And I would do anything to make it a better place for people like you.” – Wilson Fisk
- “I had lost my sight, but I got something back in return. My remaining four senses functioned with superhuman sharpness. But most amazing of all, my sense of sound gave off a kind of radar sense!” – Matt Murdock
- “People that can hurt you, the ones that can really hurt you, are the ones that are close enough to do it.” – Frank Castle
- “They say your whole life flashes before your eyes when you die. And it’s true, even for a blind man.” – Daredevil
- “The only thing I ever saw stop a thug mid-fight was a bigger thug.” – Claire Temple
- “Another man’s evil does not make you good. Men have used the atrocities of their enemies to justify their own throughout history.” – Father Lantom
- “I would keep my promise. I would help those that others wouldn’t. I would seek justice… one way or another.” – Daredevil
- “Keep going like this, you just might end up happy. And for a Catholic boy, that’s a pretty dangerous thing.” — Foggy Nelson
- “People that can hurt you, the ones that can really hurt you, are the ones that are close enough to do it.” — Frank Castle
- “ This city, it stinks. It’s a sewer. It stinks and it smells like shit and I can’t get the stink out of my nose. I think that this world, it needs men that are willing to make the hard call.” — Frank Castle
- “Another man’s evil does not make you good. Men have used the atrocities of their enemies to justify their own throughout history.” — Father Lantom
- “The law couldn’t do anything to help that little girl. But I could.” — Matt Murdock
- “I realized that this city was a part of me, that it was in my blood. And I would do anything to make it a better place for people like you.” — Wilson Fisk
- “Time and distance, they afford a certain clarity.” — Wilson Fisk
- “When I was a kid, before the accident, I’d lay awake at night listening to the sirens. I liked to put stories to them. Trying to figure out what they were for, ambulance or cops, robbery or fire. I don’t know, just a stupid game. But after I lost my sight, after my abilities developed, I realized how many sirens there actually were, how much this city suffered every single night.” — Matt Murdock
- “Everyone warned me that prison would be an inhumane environment. It is. But I find it refreshing. The perfect microcosm of the animal world. When an animal wants something, when it needs something, other things need to be stepped on.” — Wilson Fisk
- “High above the city streets, I trained my body and my senses. An acute sense of touch gave me both strength and balance, until the city itself became my playground.” – Matt Murdock
- “Justice is served.” – Daredevil
- “Look at me, Matt. I’m a ‘Plus One’. Plus Ones don’t get anywhere by themselves. They need somebody to bring them. That’s why it’s ‘plus one’!” – Franklin ‘Foggy’ Nelson
- “It’s painful, raising children. We spend our lives teaching them to be strong, to be independent. Not realizing that once we have achieved that they are no longer in our control.” — Nobu Yoshioka
- “The only thing I ever saw stop a thug mid-fight was a bigger thug.” — Claire Temple
- “How do you know the angel and the devil inside me aren’t the same thing?” — Matt Murdock
- “There are no heroes, no villains. Just people with different agendas.” — Ben Urich
- “Growing to love something is really simply forgetting slowly what you dislike about it.” — James Wesley
- “There’s one thing in this world that makes me feel more alive. And that’s you.” — Matt Murdock
- “We need heroes.” — Matt Murdock
- “I fear that the path you’ve chosen isn’t going to be an easy one.” — Madame Gao
- “The only thing I know without a doubt is you don’t get to be the man at the top without making enemies looking to tear you down to the ground.” — Ben Urich
- “Man cannot be both savior and oppressor, light and shadow. One has to be sacrificed for the other. Choose and choose wisely. Or others shall choose for you.” — Madame Gao
- “I’m not a religious man, but I’ve read bits and pieces over the years. Curiosity more than faith. But this one story… There was a man, he was traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho when he was set upon by men of ill intent. They stripped the traveler of his clothes, they beat him, and they left him bleeding in the dirt. And a priest happened by, saw the traveler, but he moved to the other side of the road and continued on. And a Levite, a religious functionary, he came to the place, saw the dying traveler, but he, too, moved to the other side of the road, passed him by. But then came a man from Samaria, a Samaritan, a good man. He saw the traveler bleeding in the road and he stopped to aid him without thinking of the circumstance or the difficulty it might bring him. The Samaritan tended to the traveler’s wounds, applying oil and wine, and he carried him to an inn, gave him all the money he had for the owner to take care of the traveler, as the Samaritan, he continued on his journey. He did this simply because the traveler was his neighbor. He loved his city and all the people in it. I always thought that I was the Samaritan in that story. It’s funny, isn’t it? How even the best of men can be deceived by their true nature.” — Wilson Fisk
- “That’s what makes him dangerous. Living in the shadows, no one knowing who he is.” — Matt Murdock
- “I’m not trying to be a hero. I’m just a guy that got fed up with men like you and I decided to do something about it.” — Matt Murdock
- “I can’t see, not like everyone else, but I can feel. Things like balance and direction. Micro-changes in air density, vibrations, blankets of temperature variations. Mix all that with what I hear, subtle smells. All of the fragments form a sort of impressionistic painting.” — Matt Murdock
- “I’m not seeking penance for what I’ve done, I’m asking forgiveness…for what I’m about to do.” — Matt Murdock
Matt Murdock proved that he was a man of justice. What about you? What are you willing to do to help the world gain even a little justice it deserved? Anybody can do something as long as you’re willing to do so. You can be your own kind of hero, doing the little things, even without the recognition of the world. But don’t forget to take care of your own well being as well.
It will be hard to be a hero for someone else if you can’t save your own self. You matter as much as other people do. It’s okay to be able to save just one person, even if that person has to be yourself. It is totally fine. A hero also had their ups and downs which is something we can’t escape as it is part of our lives. What’s important is we know when to accept a fall and when to stand up as well. We got to learn how to continue the fight we have started no matter how hard the path will take.
Matt also had people who supported him and stayed by his side. They knew that his intentions were good and that it would benefit their community greatly. Sometimes a few good and most importantly true friends can be an inspiration to keep on doing what is right.
It doesn’t matter how many as long as you know the relationship is genuine. You can prepare goals for the betterment of the world as a group. The most important thing we’ll learn from Daredevil was that he used his ability for good and to satisfy his own desires. He knew for a fact that it was given to him for a purpose, and not just by accident.